Tuesday, August 14, 2012

You Can Catch More Flies...

We are in full fledged summer mode over here

(Which basically means that the children are running the place.  But what else is new?)

Summer has been good to them with...

homemade manicures/pedicures
lemonade stands
sleepovers
pool days
park days
bowling parties
riding bikes, scooters, and other household items not even meant to be ridden
football games
making fruit smoothies
making fruit salad
freezing fruit
squeezing fresh fruit juice
sprinkling fruit with salts and sugars and other homemade concoctions
eating too much and too often and then coming back for more fruit

(because after all who would say "no" to fruit)

Wait, did I mention fruit?

Okay.  Just checking.

Well as you may know, with fruit comes... the fruit fly
Or gnats. 
Or pesky little bugs.

Call them what you want

So last night I couldn't TAKE IT anymore and I researched online to find a safe, homemade remedy to address the issue

I found a recipe online that recommended:

1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tbsp water
1 drop of mild liquid soap

I decided to try it to see if it would work

So after cleaning the kitchen, I put all of the ingredients in a small plastic bowl on the counter.  I stood there for a minute and WATCHED IN HORROR as about a dozen gnats suddenly appeared and started heading for the bowl.  (This is giving me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.)  They landed on the edge of the bowl and I had to walk away because it was seriously creeping me out!

Before bed I went back in to check and there were 2 dead gnats floating in the mixture and a couple more sitting on the rim of the bowl.

Well this morning when I got up to check on my homemade fly trap, what did I find? 

Wait for it...

About 2 DOZEN dead, floating gnats!  UGH!!

When my mother arrived to help begin the day with the kids,
I showed her and we both had the same question...

Can't they SEE the other dead gnats floating at the bottom? 
Can't they? 
If so, WHY get so close to meet the same end?

And without even thinking

I remembered
and responded
and repeated

a quote I heard my Pastor reference on Sunday Morning.

"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history"  Friedrich Hegel 

And I'm wondering...

Can't we SEE that the wages of sin is death? 
Can't we? 
If so, then WHY are we trying to get so close to the world?

Sure, that apple cider vinegar may smell sweet, but that drop of liquid soap will KILL you!  And don't let the term "mild" liquid soap fool you!  Don't believe me?  Just ask my dead gnats over here!!

And NOW I understand why my grandma used to say "baby, wear the world as a loose garment". 

(I wish she was here so that I could tell her that, and thank her.) 

And what was that other thing she used to say?

Oh, yeah.  "You can catch more flies with honey than with...vinegar."

I guess that's true unless you use Apple Cider vinegar because after all,
it's all about the fruit...just ask the kids!

Check your fruit (Matthew 7:17)

7 comments:

  1. Nicely put, I enjoy how you see Jesus in every facet of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being married to your son has made that necessary! LOL!! (I love that man)

      Delete
    2. And THANK YOU for my new toy/tool. It will come in handy for my writing!!

      Delete
  2. This is so funny. I researched how to get rid of the fruit flies too last month and did the same thing! Amazing how the dead knats don't deter them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? My mom and I were both scratching our heads...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you... just finished my book and I can't wait for you all to have a chance to read it!

      Delete