Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Obtaining the Blessing of a Skinned Knee

I found this book at a used bookstore and was immediately captured by the title 

"The Blessing of a Skinned Knee" 

Isn't that an oxymoron?

I flipped the book over and read the back cover

It sounded...

Intriguing
Provocative and
Useful

for me in my career as an Early Childhood Professional

I brought the book home and have been

reading it and
re-reading it

for over a year now and

it is my "go to" book when I need to remind myself of the importance of letting children be children
 
it is my "go to" book when I need to look up the Jewish blessings so simply outlined for someone of a non-Jewish background to understand and

it was my "go to" book once again today...



Yesterday was my first day leaving my house for work
in over 8 years!

As I prepared to leave my house, I told the angels that are assigned to guard me,
"Okay, it's time to go." 

My neighbor (who is also a Pastor) saw me leaving, and said "C'mon let's have a word of prayer.  Winston told me that you begin your new job today, and we're asking for God's blessing."

He prayed and sent me on my way...

During orientation the lady sitting next to me (also a new hire) looked at me and said
"God is so good.  Can I just tell you how amazing He is?" 

She began to pour out her heart explaining how

she had acquired her new job, giving me chill bumps, and leaving me speechless!

I was introduced to coworkers
met many new people
and even saw a few familiar faces

Finally finished the day and headed to orientation at my children's school, still floating from the day's events until I suddenly realized that I was on the ground.  I rolled and ended up on my back looking up into the sky and the HUGE tree overhead and to my surprise...

A SMILE came across my face and I found the words "Thank you Jesus" spilling from the corners of my lips. 

Apparently the tree had tripped me because I saw the roots that had pushed the sidewalk up leaving it unlevel.  I felt the burn on my elbow and my knee mourning the location where skin had just been... and I got it!

The blessing of a skinned knee! 

Yes, it is easier to stay in the house for 8 years because you are far less likely to fall on the sidewalk... but you will never get to look up at the sky and the trees and see God in all of His Glory!

Baruch atah "blessed are you"

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of this book recently on a radio talk show. In fact it was tuesday. Yes tondra God is soooo good! You don't know how much of a blessing your family has been to me and my babies. May God continue to shower you with his love and grace. We love you!kalinda

    ReplyDelete