Saturday, October 13, 2012

You can be a Winner in "The Game of Life"

My kids have been on a "game night" kick almost everyday this week,
and I have been surprisingly willing to play along. 

In fact, my heart skipped a beat when my son pulled out

"The Game of Life"

as I reminisced over how I used to LOVE this game when I was growing up!



Photo Credit: Flickr: {c.a. muller}

He pulled out all the pieces and began setting it up.

Start up money... check
Plastic green car... check
Add the pink lady... check

Go to college, get a job, get married, buy a house... check, check, check, check

WHOO HOO!  My "game of life" was going GOOD!!

Then I hit a few bumps along the road...

Lost a job
Got another
Had a few accidents and some bills to pay... (but hey you know, that's life). 

About halfway through the game, the tide shifted back in my favor.

Won $100,000 for a contest... yes!
Won a SECOND competition... yes!
Had a baby girl, then a set of twin boys, and then another boy... Sure, why not?

Reached the finished line first and finally got to retire... check

I looked up and saw that my children still had quite a bit of distance to go to reach the finish line, so I went ahead and began to "cash out".  My son asked me "how will we know who the winner is?" 

And without even thinking I said,

"I think its whoever ends up with the most money at the end". 

I stopped counting as those words echoed in my ear
immediately regretting the lesson I had just unconsciously taught them

I realized that my entire "game of life" experience with all of its

ups
downs
highs
lows

had just in one moment
been reduced

to how much money I had made?!?

I put the fake money down
looked up at him
really noticing him for the first time since we had started the game

And in that moment, I realized that I am

officially
unofficially

done

with "The Game" of life

(because I don't need to get to the finish line and count my money to realize)

I've already won!

(1 Corinthians 15:57)

1 comment: