Monday, April 1, 2013

Didn't You Wear That Yesterday?

I'm not exactly sure why our society has us so obsessed with...

our appearance
our clothing
our perception of what others are thinking about us,

but I had my first experience with this when I was in Elementary School.
 
One day my grandpa came to pick me up from school and informed me that I would be spending the night at his house because my mother was in the hospital.  Even though my mommy was sick, and my daddy had to work the night shift, I knew I was in good hands and had everything that I could possibly need.

Good food
Clean clothes
My own warm bed
Lots of Love

There was only one problem...

The clothes that I kept at my grandparents' house were CHURCH clothes, and I may have only been in the second grade, but I already had enough sense to know that you can't wear CHURCH clothes to SCHOOL! 

So I made a decision...

I would wear the same pants that I had on, the very next day.

I got up the next morning, took a bath, and put on my same gray pants with a clean white button down (CHURCH clothes) shirt.  My grandma couldn't understand my reasoning, and she tried to sway me by reminding me that I had a closet full of clean clothes to choose from.  I reminded her that I couldn't get on the monkey bars wearing a frilly dress.

I would rather wear the same pants to school 2 days in a row, than be caught in a church dress at school.  It seems absolutely ridiculous to me now that I would be worried about clothing and other people's perception of my clothing while my mother lay dying in a hospital bed. 

I had bigger things to worry about, but instead I was worrying over clothes.  

I decided to lay low in the hopes that no one would notice that I was wearing a repeat.  I made it through a good portion of the day with little attention and we were lining up after recess when it happened...

One of the boys in the class turned and looked at me and asked, "Didn't you have on those pants yesterday?"  And before I could even blink, my best friend turned and looked at him and answered,

"Have you ever heard of a washing machine?"

I breathed a sigh of relief because that was the end of that.  Since she had my back (Thank you, Chanea!), and spoke up for me, no one ever dared mention it again.

Until today...

when I read about what this High School student is proposing for her Senior Project, and it struck a nerve with me.  So I have decided to join her "Dress for Change" movement by wearing the same black dress for 7 days in a row.



Because no child should ever have to miss school because they fear what others will say or do, and no child should ever fear hearing the mere words...

"Didn't You Wear that Yesterday?"

Click here to see how I wore it!

No comments:

Post a Comment