Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Enemy You Fear (Part 1)

 

I just returned from the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Institute in San Francisco where I spent three days looking at (culturally) and Developmentally Appropriate Practices for children ages birth through eight.

I am exhausted

And yet...

I am refreshed
I am clear
I have a renewed sense of awareness and purpose

My conference experience led to many discoveries

thoughts
ideas
lessons

In fact, during the very first session that same lesson found me again...

"Focus on what you want, not what you worry about,
because what you focus on expands"

Perhaps it was my imagination, but was she looking at me?
Her words echoing, and sounding a lot like these words from my 10 year old

"Don't focus on where I am now, focus on where I am going to be"

Later that day, my suspicions were confirmed as she walked up to me in the lobby, and greeted me with a smile and a hug.  Although we had never met, something about her felt very familiar, and she answered the question I hadn't even asked out loud...

"The reason that I looked at you was because I knew that your eyes would tell me the truth".

"Focus on what you want, not what you worry about,
because what you focus on expands"

My thoughts went back to Rosie the hen, who decided to go for a walk across the farm yard in "Rosie's Walk" by Pat Hutchins.

Without her knowledge a fox slowly and carefully follows Rosie, as if preparing to pounce on her.

Rosie steps on a rock, which pops up and hits the fox. Rosie continues to walk around the pond, unaware that the fox has fallen into the pond behind her. Each time it seems as though the fox is about to have Rosie for dinner, Rosie unknowingly causes something to happen that hinders him.

The story ends with Rosie arriving home in time for dinner
(unaware that)

she was accompanied by a fox most of the way 

She never focused on her enemy...

because that very

focus
fear
anxiety

is what would have given her enemy the strength to defeat her

So don't let your fear feed your enemies...

Starve them!

And check out Rosie's Walk...

No comments:

Post a Comment