Friday, September 6, 2013

Back to School Blues

I could feel it in the air...

restlessness
anxiousness
excitement

and

nervousness

A serious case of the "Back to School Blues"

We'd been preparing for weeks...

school uniforms
new shoes
notebooks and supplies


and yet it still managed to catch me off guard

It happens every year,
and I know why


a new watch  
a combination lock for a middle school locker

with
football added to the mix

and yet this is still not getting any easier

heart racing
mind roaming
house so quiet I can hear it moan

(realizing that it has the "back to school blues" too)

because
not so long ago there were children running around this place

and now it is...

so still

Five of my former childcare students also entered "big school" yesterday
and it was not any easier

Until today...

as I dropped the kids off at school, and saw one of those former students

backpack in tow

focused
determined
marching off to class

and asked...

"So how was your first day of kindergarten?"

He looked up at me with big brown eyes

and a smile that melts my heart every time
and said without hesitation...

"I survived"

and I knew

from that smile and
those words

that it was God

speaking
reminding
promising

that these

"Back to School Blues"

will
also
soon
fade...

First day of school for 6th grade and 4th grade

No comments:

Post a Comment