Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Child's Lesson... Family Encouragement and Graffiti

I stumbled across something interesting the other day while reviewing old conference notes...

The "Four Directions of Family Encouragement" Model
which suggests there are four effective forms of communication within a family

downward- (parent to child)
upward- (child to parent)
inward- (to oneself)
across- (parent to parent, child to child)


our gallery wall before our house flooded




our gallery wall after the "2014 house flood"

As I stopped to review the notes, I thought about what this looks like in my own

family
life
heart

and realized that following the path...

downward
upward
inward
across

leads right back to the cross!


Then my 11-yr. old son helped me understand it even better one day
as he explained something to his little sister

She had asked why people draw graffiti, and I listened quietly as he broke it down for her

He said...

"I completed an assignment in 5th grade about three pegs

a circle peg
a triangle peg
and a peg in the shape of a cross

No matter how hard you try to fit the circle peg into the cross peg hole
only the cross peg will fit
That's how it is in life... 
We are all born with a hole in our hearts the shape of the cross

but sometimes we try to put other stuff in that hole like

drugs
cigarettes
or other bad things

but the cross is the only thing that will really fit there
We have to put Jesus in that space 
Well maybe that's why people draw graffiti... because they're trying to fill a hole."

And his answer sufficing her, made me smile, as I realized that

the path
the protocol
the pattern

for family encouragement had been laid

and that God is always graciously willing
to use any one of us...

downward
upward
inward
across

to lead

you
me
us
them

right back to the cross!

Has your heart been filled?

Click to read... A Lesson at Lunch

1 comment: