Monday, December 30, 2013

Looking Back... to See Ahead

As I sat clearing out my camera's memory card, in order to make space for new pictures,
I couldn't help but notice this one taken last year right after Christmas


My daughter
My mother
Myself

three generations of women
traveling together
and headed to a single destination

three generations of women
in different stages of life
and riding with

different positions
different postures
different perspectives

My daughter, the youngest, sitting in back... looking down
Me in front...looking back, and
My mother, the older and (perhaps) wiser generation, right in the middle... looking straight ahead

Life has so many

stages...
phases...

and at some point we must consciously decide which outlook we will take

This year God has helped me learn to appreciate them all because

When I looked down...

at my surroundings
the kids
or in His Word

He taught me about becoming a Mary or a Martha
how to take a bow,
stay under His wing, and
what to do when Jesus sleeps

Then He allowed me to look ahead...

to learn how to navigate an obstacle course and bring my nest to the light

and finally in looking back...

He provided a light bulb moment, while reminding me of
the beauty and pain found in crunching leaves

I now see that He has been using these

different positions
different postures
different perspectives

to teach me the same exact lesson...
again and again!

A lesson in seeing Him no matter where I am in life

AND...

trusting that since

He is faithful
He is with me (and in me)

that in Him, I will win

every time...

PERIOD.

So as I stand at the end of this stage

I am filled with gratitude and grace

finally willing
to embrace each phase

knowing that He will continue to

teach me
guide me
show me

the proper time to

look down...
look back...
look ahead...

(sharing this today)

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you and have a safe and Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful poetry. May God continue to lead us all through these phases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Edward! That is my prayer as well... God bless you!

      Delete
  3. this is absolutely beautiful!!! spoke to my soul. I love the picture and poem, the wisdom and the beauty in the generations…especially positions, postures and perspectives…thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sondie! I'm so glad you stopped by and were blessed. Have a great new year!

      Delete
  4. I loved reading your blog - be blessed in 2014!

    ReplyDelete