Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Holiday Love... Receiving- The Other Side of Giving

I want to see "The Lion King" Musical...

which I realized this morning as I sat inching along in traffic
when I looked up and noticed a huge sign that reminded...

through January 12th only

I thought about how nice it would be to take my little ones
to see and experience

what I have heard is an amazing show

11.  Give Something to Create a Memory

...is number 11 on our top 20 tips for simple, stress-free gift giving

and I thought about how nice it would be to share the memory of this spectacular musical with them

"Oh well", I thought glancing back up at the sign

while looking for a sign...
or an idea...
or a provision...

(and smiling once I got one)

It read...

"Now on stage... at The Pantages Theatre!

and my mind drifted back to

the Pantages Theatre
three years ago
where we saw

"The Color Purple" featuring Fantasia

My mother had called me three weeks prior,
to inform me that my dad was purchasing tickets and asking if I wanted to go

Yes I wanted to go!

They were all going...

my dad
my mom
my aunt
my uncle

and I wanted to go too

So I called my hubby and asked him,
(but he had already made plans for that weekend)

special plans
surprise plans
anniversary plans

for the two of us
and I didn't want to miss out on that!

And since I simply could not be in two places at the same time
I had to let it go...

Then the day after we returned from our weekend excursion,
I called my mom to find out about the show and she said,

"Fantasia didn't show up, so we're going next week instead"

and until that moment

I could hardly believe that it was possible
I didn't even realize that it was possible

to get both of the things that I wanted
by surrendering one and embracing the other...

being grateful for the other...

And I knew for sure when I heard my dad in the background saying,
"Tell her she can have my ticket because now that she's available, I don't have to go"

Since I had let it go, it had come back to me

My mother, me and my aunt...we made it!

My mother later told me that when she informed my aunt
I would be joining them instead of my dad, she said,

"God must really love Tondra
because He always works things out for her"

and I had to smile because I knew that she was right

In fact I have been on the receiving end of the gift many times
and I have finally matured enough to know that

God loves me
(and is still loving me)

even when things don't work out my way!

Which is why I don't worry...

because I know

that even if Jan.12 comes and goes with no musical number in our plans
my children and I will still one day

meet
see
experience

the real
the true
the only

"Lion King"

What do you hope to see and experience this Holiday Season?

4 comments:

  1. So nice to meet you at Emily's! I live in Southern CA too...what fun it would be to see The Lion King at The Pantages...praying and hoping you get to go :) Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacque for stopping by... it is very nice to meet you too!

      Delete
  2. I saw this show years ago. It's awesome! I'd love to take the kids as well. This post is such a great reminder that God wants to give us even the smallest desires of our heart. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am finding out more each day just how much God really cares about even the minor details of our lives... He's awesome!

      Delete