Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Twist...Retwist...Untwist...Repeat

"I want you to straighten my hair for Christmas"
she said as I pretended not to hear her...

I knew exactly what she was saying, but I was not ready to go there

"Mommy, did you hear me?" she asked incessantly, "I want you to straighten my hair!"

and I heard her

loud
and clear

It seems it was just a few years ago
that I had a similar conversation with my mother

It's funny how life goes...

Twist
Re-twist
Untwist
Repeat

And for nine years I have been taking care of this little girl's hair...

Twist
Re-twist
Untwist
Repeat

Like

a dance
a beautifully choreographed piece of work

that I see no reason to change now

Before the routine

we begin with our usual warm-up, detangling with care,
to make sure we don't pull anything unnecessarily

and then the dance is ready to begin...

Twist
Re-twist
Untwist
Repeat

Twist
Re-twist
Untwist
Repeat

Twist...
 each section to prevent the curls from tangling together



wash and

Re-twist...
each section into smaller sections to ensure the protection of each strand
 
 

A week later we shampoo and condition again, this time
with twists still in, allowing the hair to air dry overnight, and then 
 
Untwist...
the sections to give the hair a week of freedom

 
 

until the following week when we

Repeat...
by starting the entire process all over again!

It's like a dance
that has taken us nine years to perfect

and now that we've gotten the rhythm down,
she wants to change it up...

But I knew this day was coming

because I remember

having a similar conversation with my own mother

and THEN... 

when I turned 30
my mother gave me a scrapbook filled with pictures from my childhood and

it was clear from the photographs

just when the transition occurred
just when I switched up the dance routine

and began dancing to my own rhythm

so I asked my mother

"What happened here?  Why did you let me look like that?"

because it is very clear (to me now) that I wasn't quite ready to dance alone

And she laughed, reminding me that
"You asked...remember?" and besides "It's a rites of passage"

that you had to go through
and will again with your own daughter

Some day...

So until then
I've decided to

loosen up a little
deviate a little
provide a little

variation to our usual dance,

by blow drying my daughter's hair
per her request


because I know that my daughter is growing up,
and that one day

I will have to take a seat altogether,
allowing her to dance alone,

but for now I think we'll stick with our perfectly choreographed routine...

Twist
Re-twist
Untwist
Repeat

because I can clearly see that we're moving along just fine!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment