Monday, March 24, 2014

Finding Balance... A Lesson from a 3 yr. old and Fourth Grade Math

"Look, I can balance"

he said, standing on one leg and smiling in my direction
(just to be sure that I saw him)

His child care provider

didn't comment
didn't blink
didn't look up

but continued preparing his morning snack as he then announced...

"and I can do the other leg too"



I smiled back at him and marveled
secretly astonished
that this three-year-old boy claimed to have already mastered what takes years to learn

Balance: [bal'ens] noun, verb

steadiness
an instrument used to weigh something
the difference between the debits and credits of an account
to keep oneself steady
to make equal and stable
to compensate for

And as she finished preparing snack
he climbed into the chair at the end of the table

and ate without a care

as I quietly wondered how he had managed to find balance

(when balance seems to just keep escaping me)

Tonight I wanted to have dinner with a grieving friend,
but instead I had...

fourth grade math homework
fourth grade oral book report on "Comets"
sixth grade math homework
sixth grade science fair project
dinner
dishes
laundry

(and of course I still had to manage to find the time to type up this lesson)

It's true

my priorities are often a jumbled mess
but when tonight's fourth grade math review instructed my daughter to...

"Use the appropriate action for the appropriate problem"

I realized that this too is a lesson in balance
because there comes a time in life when we all must learn to

add
divide
subtract
multiply
find the lowest common denominator and
reduce

all while showing our work

And the math does not get any easier if we do not...

learn
understand
master

these basic fundamentals

so

Balance will not keep escaping me

because today

I was reminded by
a three-year-old

(and a fourth grade math review)

that healthy

growth
development
maturation

almost
always
also

requires

a lesson in balance

Click to read... A Lesson from Peter

1 comment:

  1. Oh blessed balance...how I need thee. Great post.

    ReplyDelete