Monday, March 31, 2014

When Life Gives You Lemons... And Fourth Grade Math!

I hated Fourth grade math growing up!
(there I said it)

I hated it...

multiplication
division
fractions
word problems

none of it made any sense to me at the time

And now that my daughter is in the fourth grade,
I see her developing the same disdain for math,

but I have since learned

that when life gives you lemons...
you can make lemonade

A few weeks ago...

one of my colleagues gave me lemons

big
bright
fresh

lemons handpicked from the tree in her yard
that I brought home and sat on my kitchen counter


I laid down to take a nap and woke to find that my children had made lemonade!

My mind drifted back to

A few years ago...

when we made and sold lemonade with the children in our child care program

and the children were so excited for the opportunity that they

baked cookies
made signs and
put on their best smiles

to successfully market their business



A few days ago...

we had a community yard sale and my daughter and I decided to make lemonade again using

1 cup of lemon juice
1 cup of sugar
7 cups of water

and as we

poured
measured
filled and refilled our container

I realized that we were doing fourth grade math!

Moriah, since we already used the 1 measure cup for the lemon juice, let's use the 1/4 measure cup for the sugar 

How many do we need?

Four.

Ok, great but let's double the recipe...  so how many is that?

Eight.

Now let's use the 1/2 measure cup for the water...
and how many do we need if we double that?"

And when she answered correctly,

I grabbed a sheet of paper and scribbled the numbers out so that she could see,
and her face lit up when she recognized that she was doing fourth grade math

and getting it
and liking it

realizing that she doesn't have to hate fourth grade math because fourth grade math helps us

make sense of the world around us
solve real life problems and
make lemonade

Fourth grade math makes life easier and I'm so glad that my former nemesis came back
to give me the opportunity to teach my children exactly what to do when life gives them lemons.

Fourth grade math in action!

2 comments:

  1. Great way to put math skills to practical use. The kids all look so little! Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, time does fly and I just noticed that Rhyan actually looks like Shayne on this picture!!!

      Delete