Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Gift of Tears

I walked up the hill to the library to check out a few books,
and on my way back down, I met up with a familiar face

We stopped and

smiled
embraced
exchanged greetings and salutations

and just as I turned to depart, she surprised me by saying...

"I never returned your call because I was embarrassed"

I turned back around and the puzzled look on my face led her to continue...

"Don't you remember?  The last time we spoke, I cried"

And I did remember...

I remembered that she had teared up as she spoke of Breast Cancer

treatment
therapy
remission

and I marveled to hear that she had been embarrassed by that,
and had been avoiding me for over 6 months

all because

she had viewed her tears as weakness,
while I had viewed them as strength

For the rest of the afternoon I could not stop thinking about her words and wondered...

Why do we breathe a sigh of relief when newborn babies cry,
but spend the rest of their lives trying to get them to stop crying?

After all, don't we celebrate a newborn's cry because we know that it means they are alive?

And so, in following that same logic, as long as we are alive,
shouldn't we celebrate that our hearts still

pump
live
feel?

And that tears are a gift

an expression
a release

a way to share the...

frustration
disappointment
joy
pain

that this life brings?

I think so...

and although I may feel differently about it tomorrow,
today I am embracing the tears that fall

because it means that

I am human
I am alive
I can still feel

and even though I don't always like to cry

I can
I will
I do

understand that in this moment

these tears
are a gift

(Revelation 21:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment