Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Allure of Jesus... and Jay-Z

I wake early to...


read
research
pray

make some coffee
turn on the computer
log in

It takes a while to warm up,
but as soon as it does

it begins flashing

headlines
pictures
videos

of people and events
that it thinks

will catch my attention
pique my interest
draw me away

It seems to somehow know me...

and I've found

that if I pause long enough (without clicking)
the screen will automatically shift
to the next series of stories designed with me in mind

stories that know how to pull me in

and it doesn't matter if I am even a fan
because the series of clicks have led me here anyway

a kind deed for an unsuspecting family... click
a veteran's surprise homecoming video... click
wedding photographs of people whom I have never met... click
celebrity babies and birthday celebrations... click

And although the stories do not

satisfy
or
fill

I crave more...

and I have now drifted farther than I ever intended to go

so with original intent clouded
(and the back arrow no longer a viable option for reaching my destination)

I log out instead

Then later in the day...

I am called upon by someone who requests for me

to pray for her
to pray with her
to stand with her in prayer

and after

we pray
we talk
we encourage

one another by

rehearsing His goodness
recalling past victories
reciting His Word

and as we continue
we begin to feel the Spirit drawing us nearer

until we have once again found that inner place of

rest
peace
worship

and have now forgotten all about

what's trending
what's trendy

as we remember that there is only One Name that we can consistently

call on...
count on...

(because Jesus has allure too!)

And so the next morning...



I wake early to

read
research
pray

let the computer and
the coffee pot rest

hit the floor and
crack open His Word instead

(because today)

He has made it so much easier

for me
to choose

whether to follow the allure

of Jesus
or Jay-Z














(Matthew West says it best... Grace wins!)

2 comments:

  1. Amen! There is only one name to call on - one name to be focused on and one name to give it all too. Love your heart! Go friend go! Cheering you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly! I'm so glad you stopped by to cheer me on!

    ReplyDelete