Saturday, September 2, 2017

Your Neighbor Has a First Name

So interesting how these words can hit so close to home

five minute friday

the word...
neighbor

randomly selected

the week...
my next door neighbor

(of over 30 years)

dies

And it appears...

the power in the word is not so random after all

because

gratitude
grace

consistently lends itself to providing

lessons
moments
opportunities

to

see things differently
mature
grow

and I am experiencing one of

those moments
this week

because my neighbor of over 30 years died
and I cannot even remember her first name

(and I try to justify my ignorance)

because

I met her when I was only 8 years old
(so I've always called her by her last)

but the truth of the matter is that
I have not always been the best neighbor

because how do you live NEXT DOOR to someone for 30 years
and NOT even know their first name?

And I am seeing it more each day

fake news
real hatred

indifference

flooded

hearts
minds
homes

words and actions that shred each other apart
rescue and relief efforts that unite and build up

and it is clear that we are all busy

but I wish we could all just stop for a moment and learn each other's first names

I am Tondra... and you are?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Tondra. I'm Kelly. Nice to meet you.
    Can I just say WOW! Your words just blew me away. The exact clarity of a situation and THE situation this world is in right now.
    I feel convicted but in a good way. You know what I mean?
    God bless you.
    Neighbor from FMF (68)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! Yes, the word this week is so powerful... I'm supposed to be at the grocery store picking up food for the family, but I can't stop reading!!! Thank you for stopping by today to say hello.

      Delete
  2. Hi I'm Tara! So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaa! Hello Tara. It's so nice to "meet" you too!

      Delete
  3. Hey Tondra! I'm Christy. What a wonderful thought provoking post. Now that you mention it, I don't know our elderly neighbor's first names either (I have in the past, and see it if we get their mail by mistake). But we use their last name out of respect, as you probably did too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy! Thank you for stopping by to introduce yourself.

      Delete
  4. I am challenged by your post, Tondra Denise. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete