Thursday, July 3, 2014

Don't Walk Around...Walk Through

We used to take walks together...

down the street
around the corner
and back home through the alley

Here it is today...


Her house was right next to the alley
and at times it seemed that a

child under ten
with a
woman over 70

were no match for the 1980's streets of Eastside Long Beach

but I quickly learned...

that they were really no match for us

Do we have to take the alley? 
Can't we just walk around the block? 

I asked

even though I knew that it didn't make any sense to walk around the block
when we could see the house straight ahead

but there were

dogs
rats
people

lurking in that alley

so I had to ask every time
even as

we continued to walk

along together
alone together

for years...

Until the day she walked ahead
and made it home safely

before me...

leaving me to walk this alley alone

and now as I walk

I understand that in order to get home
I must stay on the path

destined
designated
predestinated

for me

There's no need to waste time trying to walk around...
when He's given me all the power that I need to just walk through

So whether I'm facing

an alley
a valley
an enemy

while feeling like

a child under ten or
a woman over 70

I'll just continue to walk

along together
alone together

with Him


(also shared over at... Chatting At The Sky)

No comments:

Post a Comment