Friday, August 17, 2012

A Bag of Opportunities

I'm wondering how many would look at this and see a bag of opportunities


Not many, I'm guessing

In fact, I will venture to say that most people would look,
and just see a bag of trash ready to be discarded

(But I see more...)

As I prepare to enter this next phase in my life and career, I can't help but smile as I realize that the more that I'd spent so much time searching for, is actually less.

God has been busy, and while it appeared to me that He wouldn't move, I didn't realize that He was actually repositioning ME!  Now I've looked up and I notice that even though I am still standing in the same spot, everything looks...different. 

Now instead of problems, I see potential.  How did I get here?

For instance, like the night that I was preparing to fry fish for dinner, and I accidently dropped the cornmeal.  My daughter Moriah shrieked as cornmeal spilled incredulously onto the kitchen floor.

I looked down at the container and smiled realizing that I hadn't manage to lose it all.  "That's alright Moriah, God still left us enough to fry the fish".

Then I would see more...

I went to get the broom and dustpan, and returned to sweep up the mess that I had made.  That's when I saw it.

"This is not trash, Moriah".

I decided to get my camera instead so that I could document the more that I was seeing.



"Just because we can't eat this, doesn't mean that we can't still use it. 
What if we put this in the red sensory table for the kids tomorrow?"

Then she saw more...

The smile in her eyes showed me that she saw it as she proclaimed,

"Ooh, yeah!  That will be so much fun,  I can hardly wait".

As I scooped up the cornmeal and bagged it up, my mind began to flood itself with thoughts of redemption and restoration.  Although cornmeal is supposed to be used for food, I could immediately think of several developmentally appropriate activities the children would enjoy, along with the Preschool Learning Foundations that each activity would meet.

This cornmeal would NOT go to waste! 

And so it is with God.  He has an awesome way of using people that many of us would just bag up and set to the side.

(But He sees more...)

Running a daycare for the past eight years has helped me in more ways than I had realized.  Now that we are counting down the days until our child care program closes, people have begun asking me "what are you gonna do now?"

There are too many ways that I could answer that question, so I just smile and graciously reply,
"I am holding a bag of opportunities"

And I see more...
------------------------------------------
Cornmeal Activities

1 comment: