Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cornmeal Tracing... (Days 4 & 5)

If you have ever attended one of our annual art shows...you know I LOVE children's art!

Ok, so here's the deal.

Growing up I never considered myself an artist.  In fact, if you asked me about art, I would have given you the negative answer...  "No, I'm not an artist.  I can't draw.  I'm not very artistic".  I now realize that the main problem I've had is getting the elaborate ideas in my head to translate onto paper.  I hadn't learned how to master the art of getting the physical product to match the creative process which was taking place in my mind. 

Well, in college I took a child development class that CHANGED MY LIFE,
as I learned the difference between process and product oriented art

The process is where the
creativity is showcased because...

Life is a PROCESS, after all, isn't it?


Here is what we did Days 4 and 5...

Cornmeal and Colored Sand Art


What I did:

Mixed cornmeal together with colored
sand and put it into a repurposed egg carton

(Visual and Performing Arts)

What they did:

Used cotton swabs to make unique designs with glue
onto their papers.  Every child's looked different, and 
several children made more than one.  They seemed to
enjoy the creative process, and didn't stop until lunch!


Cornmeal Tracing



What I did: 

Spread a thin layer of cornmeal
onto a tray and let them at it!

(Language and Literacy, Visual and Performing Arts)


I see more

Since school was out, my 7-year-olds were working right
beside toddlers and preschoolers, and I was blessed to see the
Scribbler Stage, Schematic Stage, and Realistic Stage all at work. 

I LOVE when the children teach me!


Week 2

No comments:

Post a Comment