Monday, September 24, 2012

Crayon Melting... (Week 1)

I've heard it said that you don't know how much stuff you have until you have to pack up and move.  Well fortunately for me I haven't moved since I was 8 years old, so I am not that familiar with the "packing process". 

However, when I began sorting through all of our child care stuff before we closed our program, I came to realize just how much we actually had.  There were children's books and toys galore, and even the crayons were spilling out of the container!

Chubby...
Skinny...
Broken...
Used...
Donated...
Restaurant collected...
You name it...

We were up to our elbows in crayons, but instead of throwing them out, I had several activities in mind...



Activity #1-Crayon Bundles






What I did: I grabbed a crayon from each "color family", grabbed a small rubber band, and made crayon bundles.  (Language and Literacy, Visual and Performing Arts, Physical Development).




What they did: They picked up the crayon bundles and began coloring!  Since I was working with a mixed age group it was very interesting to see the various "scribbling stages" that the children were in.









Lesson Reinforced:  I have been faccinated ever since my college days when I learned that scribbling is an essential part of a child's fine motor development.  Up until that time I had always heard scribbling mentioned with a negative connotation ("oh, she's just scribbling") and did not realize there are actually "20 basic scribbles" that all children must master before "writing".  As adults we must be careful not to place judgment on children's art.  However, they should have opportunities to express themselves freely without adult comment.  Follow this link to learn more about Rhoda Kellogg's extensive research on children's art, and how we came to know about the "20 basic scribbles".





Helpful Tip:  Keep your children's developmental stage in mind when planning activities.  For instance, do not give infants or toddler rubber bands (tape their crayons together instead) because they are a choking hazard.  Very young children still have the tendency to put everything in their mouths, so know your children.

Activity #2-Crayon Melting

What I did: I kept seeing different variations of this idea on Pinterest...


Melted Crayon Art by JKCreate


Melted Crayon Monograms by Dilly Dali Art
 
So I decided to try to make a crayon masterpiece of my own...  I grabbed a piece of canvas that the children had tossed to the side, tore up some painter's tape to spell out my name, hot-glued some crayons, grabbed my hair dryer and quickly decided that...


 
I should have left the wrappers on the crayons
I should remove the painter's tape and
I should flip it the other direction
 
and voila!
 
That's the beauty of art...
 
 
 


(Click here to see more crayon activities)

1 comment: