Monday, September 24, 2012

Crayon Melting... (Week 1)

The crayons were spilling
out of the container

chubby...
skinny...
broken...
used...
donated...
restaurant collected...

You name it

We were up to our elbows in crayons,
(but instead of throwing them out)

I had several activities in mind...

Crayon Bundles


What I did:

I grabbed a crayon from each "color family",
grabbed a small rubber band, and made crayon bundles. 

(Language and Literacy, Visual and Performing Arts, Physical Development)


What they did:

They picked up the crayon bundles and began coloring! 

Since I was working with a mixed age group it was very
interesting to see the children's various "scribbling stages".



Lesson Reinforced:

Scribbling is an essential part of a child's fine motor development. 

In fact, there are actually "20 basic scribbles"
children must master before the formal writing stage

Rhoda Kellogg- "20 Basic Scribbles"

Helpful Tip

Keep your children's developmental age/ 
stage in mind when planning activities. 

Supervise and know your children.

Crayon Melting


What I did:

I kept seeing different variations of this idea on Pinterest
so I decided to try to make a crayon masterpiece of my own  

I grabbed a piece of canvas that the children had tossed to the side
tore up some painter's tape to spell out my name
hot-glued some crayons
grabbed my hair dryer

and quickly realized that...

I should have left the wrappers on the crayons!


"It may not turn out how you
expect, but that's art for you"




(Click here to see more crayon activities)

1 comment: